The document attachment functionality in Microsoft Dynamics GP (formerly known as Great Plains) allows you to attach documents and images to master records (e.g. Vendors, Customers and Items), transactions, and the individual line items assigned to the transactions. This is an especially useful feature if your organization is making a shift towards going paperless as well.
Later the documents can be viewed or removed. Document attachment allows easy reference to supporting documents like:
- 1099 Forms
- Payables Invoices
- Customer Purchase Orders, just to name a few.
The documents are stored in the database, so are not dependent on access to a shared folder location, but are secure, and available to your Dynamics GP users. And, as a bonus, the associated database storage used is a fraction of the actual file size.
Document Attachment Setup at the Company Level
- In Dynamics GP, go to Administration | Setup | Company | Document Attachment Setup
- User Defined Attribute fields to add additional information to the documents
- Set the Default Location that GP should look for documents, and choose if the document should be deleted after attaching the document in GP. The file location can be changed when the file is being selected as an attachment.
Document Attachment Example
For Instance on a vendor
- Click the Paperclip
- Click Attach (default location was set)
- Select the document to attach
- Expand the lines to add a Description (optional)
- Select a document and click preview to see the information
- Paperclip indicates a record does not have an Attachment
- Paper indicates a record does have an Attachment
Your Dynamics GP should now be set up to easily attach documents. If you need additional assistance, then get in touch with our support team!